Tuesday, June 7, 2011

summertime

I've been working so hard for so long that I've forgotten to have any fun.
Its not all bad though! Working on our house is immensely rewarding and I can't wait to get my studio set up in it!
Its been a grueling 2 years. After moving to Paducah, I immediately took a job teaching high school.
You're probably thinking "gross"... It's not. Its more enriching and empowering than I could have ever imagined. The kids I work for are fantastic. Teaching has given me more time to research, read, grow, and learn. It has however robbed me of time to make.
Aside from a handful of lucky commissioned pieces (you know who you are :) I've been fairly absent from my bench.
Maybe its leftover scorn from grad school? Maybe I'm just turned off by the cost of metal?
Maybe its that I get all of the problem solving I need building a house, studio, and pre-college arts program?!
Not to mention that I also volunteer with the Paducah Arts Alliance; orchestrating the artist in residency program.

I have been fantasizing about hitting metal with a hammer lately.
Summer has brought me some solitude - an opportunity to listen to my thoughts as they race by.
My goal is to spend Friday hitting metal with a hammer.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment