Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Paducah Quilt Museum

Mitch and I went out for an adventure this Valentine's Day weekend.
We went to the Quilt Museum first. Admission is $8 a person for adults and it was well worth the money spent. There are lots of quilts. LOTS! Antiques, modern, minis, and student work from the quilt block challenge.

The large gallery is expansive and all of the quilts are exhibited individually - visually pleasing that they aren't crowded. Many of the antiques are exhibited with a history and sometimes pics of the makers. An especially sweet extra for me. The modern national winners are exhibited with information about the artist or the design of the quilt. I felt both inspired and humbled by the artistry of these monumental collages and lessons in color theory and basic design principles. The hand stitching on the mini quits is truly perfection.

There were two docents available to give tours and answer questions. They also host groups. I can't wait to take my art club kids over for a tour. Educational groups get in free and we are even going to get to do a hands on activity (hello fabric printing!)
I highly recommend anyone check out the Quilt Museum. It was well worth the money.

1 comment:

  1. I have never been there, it sounds like something I should add to my 'to do' list. :-)

    ReplyDelete